Though cigarette smoking has been on the decline in recent decades due to better health education, many automobiles still come equipped with cigarette lighters and ashtrays. The cigarette lighter port is a universal adaptor port for many devices requiring electricity, such as laptops and cell phone chargers. The adaptor port, or power-point as it is sometimes referred to, is normally a standard accessory in most automobiles manufactured in the United States. Replacing a cigarette lighter in your vehicle is just as simple as buying a new cigarette lighter.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- New cigarette lighter
- Cell phone charger
Find a device that adapts to your cigarette lighter port. A cell phone charger or similar device is ideal. Plug it into the charger and turn the car's interior power on. Check to see that the device is working appropriately; if it's not, then the fuse to your cigarette lighter could be blown and may need replacing.
Go to an auto parts store such as AutoZone or Pepboys to purchase a replacement cigarette lighter for your vehicle. All cigarette lighters utilise the same size port and electrical amps, so there is no need to measure your particular lighter port.
Place the new lighter into the port and press in until the lighter clicks into place. It will pop out in a few seconds with a red-hot tip if it's functioning correctly.
Tips and warnings
- Consult your vehicle owner's manual if you need to replace a fuse for your cigarette lighter.
- Use caution when lighting an automobile cigarette lighter, as these can cause serious burns if dropped or mishandled.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for