Glycerine, also known as glycerine and glycerol, is a natural alcohol derived from the animal or vegetable fats used in the soap-making process. Commercially available as an emollient in toiletries and cosmetics, glycerine is also a preservative in foods. With a viscous, or syruplike, consistency, glycerin's colourless, sweet and odourless properties make it a relatively safe and versatile ingredient for making your own laundry detergents, soaps and lotions or extending the life of beauty products. Mixed with water, glycerine can be used as a homemade natural hair and scalp moisturiser.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Pure glycerine (glycerol) or pure vegetable glycerine
- Water (preferably distilled)
- Measuring cup
- Empty 236ml. spray bottle
Measure glycerine and distilled water at a ratio anywhere between 1-to-4 and 1-to-1, one at a time. These ratios are recommended for best consistency for use in the spray bottle. Measure 73.9ml of glycerine and 142gr of water (a 1-2 ratio) to start. If needed, adjust ratios after using the mixture depending on the hair's texture and reaction.
Pour distilled water into the bottle, followed by glycerine. The glycerine should try to settle on the bottom of the bottle because it is viscous.
Shake the bottle for 10 seconds until the solution is homogeneous. Glycerine is water- and alcohol-soluble, so it will dilute easily. For mixtures with a higher amount of glycerine, shake longer until it dissolves completely.
Tips and warnings
- Add a few drops of essential oil(s) for added benefits to scalp or fragrance such as lavender or jojoba.
- Find pure vegetable glycerine or glycerol at Henry's Marketplace, Whole Foods and Michaels craft stores.
- Using a ratio heavy on the glycerine will make the solution tougher to dissolve and may not spray as well.
- Measure by volume, rather than weight, as glycerine is heavier than water.
- Use a small amount of glycerine on the skin first to see how it reacts. Too much glycerine can have a drying effect on the scalp.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for