Personal computers and laptops are typically equipped with a single audio output jack for connecting a pair of external stereo speakers. When two speakers just aren't enough, adaptors are available to expand the audio system for a PC to include multiple speakers. The simplest way to connect two sets of speakers to a PC is to use an audio splitter available at electronics stores. It is essential to use only self-powered speakers with this set-up, because a PC does not have built-in amplifiers to drive external speakers.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Speaker signal splitter
- Two sets of external speakers
Connect each pair of speakers by inserting the plug on the cable from the left-channel speaker into the OUTPUT jack on the right-channel speaker. There should be four speakers wired in two pairs.
Connect the mini-plug on the cable from each right-channel speaker to a jack on the signal splitter. The Y-shaped signal splitter has two audio jacks on one end and a mini-plug on the other.
Insert the mini-plug on the signal splitter into the AUX OUT or Audio OUT jack on the PC, pushing the plug straight into the jack until it seats with a click.
Plug a DC adaptor into the power jack on the back of each right-channel speaker, then connect the transformer on the other end of each cable to a surge protector power strip. Plug the power strip into an electrical socket.
Activate the two pairs of speakers by turning the on/off volume-control knob clockwise on each right-channel speaker and adjust the volume to the desired level.
Tips and warnings
- Connect a surround sound speaker system by plugging the five speakers into the corresponding jacks on the back of the powered subwoofer that comes with the speaker package, then connect the cable from the subwoofer to the computer's Audio OUT jack.
- The speaker connections for this project will provide stereo sound from two pairs of speakers, not true surround sound (front, centre, right and rear-channel audio) which requires an audio processor built into the subwoofer for systems designed for computer use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for