Making a folding sewing table, with a large smooth working surface, that can be collapsed and stored easily when you're through sewing, helps you convert your sewing room into a guest room in minutes. This homemade sewing table has a durable surface that is smooth to protect your sewing projects from damage and grunge, and a metal frame that collapses to a slim profile that can be hidden away under a bed with ease. You can make your own folding sewing table for the cost of the table top, legs and a few other inexpensive items.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sheet of 60- x 36-inch medium density fiberboard (MDF)
- Wood stain
- Clean dry cloth
- Paint tray
- Foam roller brush
- 2 folding table leg assemblies, with hardware
- 3/4-inch drill bit
Stain the MDF sheet by brushing a light coat of wood stain onto the top surface, wait five minutes and them wipe the stain off with a clean dry cloth.
Pour a small amount of polyurethane into a paint tray and dip a foam roller brush into it to use to apply three light coats of polyurethane to the tabletop. Allow the polyurethane to dry for 30 minutes between coats.
Turn the tabletop over so that the unfinished side is up.
Mark the folding table leg pre-drilled screw hole positions onto the bottom of the MDF with a pencil, 4 inches from the left and right sides.
Remove the legs and drill pilot holes at the marked screw positions into the MDF with a 3/4-inch drill bit in a power drill.
Reposition the legs and screw the leg assembly screws through the leg brackets into pilot holes and the MDF with a power drill.
Tips and warnings
- Purchase 36-inch folding table legs for standing at your sewing table or 27- to 29-inch legs for sitting.
- MDF is the most cost-efficient sewing tabletop option and you can use a router to sculpt the edges if you prefer a finished look for your sewing room decor.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for