Rhinestone hair accessories add a glamorous glitter to your style and help draw attention to your hair. They can turn a simple hairstyle into a fancy look and make an outfit appear finished. Creating the rhinestone hair accessory yourself lets you skip expensive store prices and produce a variety of hair accessories for a fraction of the cost. Start with a plain barrette with a rectangular band across the top that is at least 1 inch wide, or wide enough for you to add some decorations.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Large flat metal barrettes
- Purple silk ribbon, 1/2 inch wide
- Craft glue
- Lilac round rhinestone gems, 1/3 inch diameter
- Clear round rhinestone gems, 1/3 inch diameter
- Yellow round rhinestone gems, 1/3 inch in diameter
Open the metal barrette you intend to turn into a rhinestone hair accessory and place it so that the top of the barrette face is turned upward. Glue a piece of ribbon to the back left-side of the barrette face. Wrap the ribbon tightly around the barrette until you reach the right side. Cut the ribbon and glue the end to the back right-side of the barrette face. Let dry.
Glue a lilac round rhinestone with a flat back to each corner of the metal barrette face. Glue clear rhinestones along the top and bottom edge of the rhinestone hair accessory, positioning them between the lilac gems. Let dry.
Tie a small bow with the purple ribbon. Cut the ends from the bow so just the knot and two loops remain. Glue a yellow rhinestone in the centre of the bow. Glue the bow to the centre of the metal barrette face, between the lines of round rhinestones. Let dry.
Bow and Rhinestone Hair Accessory
Open a metal barrette and place it face up. Place a piece of ribbon down the middle barrette face and tuck the left and right ends behind the metal. Glue the ends in place so that the ribbon sits flat across the middle of the rhinestone hair accessory. Let dry.
Glue a yellow gem to the middle front of the barrette face. Surround the gem with five lilac gems to create a flower pattern. Repeat process to create the flower design down the middle of the barrette face, leaving a little room for the ribbon to peak through between each flower. Let dry.
Glue a line of clear round rhinestones around the outer edge of the metal barrette. Let dry.
Flower Rhinestone Hair Accessory
Tips and warnings
- Use metal barrettes to create strong accessories that stay in your hair. Plastic barrettes are too weak to endure heavy decoration and will quickly break or warp.
- Adjust the colours in the project to match any style. Use baby blue ribbon, clear rhinestones, light blue rhinestones and yellow rhinestones for a soft style. Use gold ribbon, red rhinestones, green rhinestones and silver rhinestones for a Christmas style.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for