Notepad is a word processing program that saves documents as text (TXT) files. These files contain only text and line breaks; they do not support other formatting, such as bold, centre alignment and different fonts. Converting TXT documents to Microsoft Word (DOC) format will allow you to add formatting and better see how the document will appear when it is printed. You can convert TXT to DOC easily in Microsoft Word or a free word processing program, such as Open Office or AbiWord.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- TXT file
- Microsoft Word or similar word processor
Open the TXT file in Microsoft Word or another word processing program that can read and write DOC files.
Make any necessary changes in formatting--for example, changing the font to Times New Roman, eliminating unnecessary line breaks and adding bold headers.
Go to "File->Save As." Under "Save as type," choose "Word Document (.doc)."
Choose a file name and folder for your new document, then click "Save."
Tips and warnings
- You will not be able to open or edit your converted DOC file in Notepad. If you need to do so, you must convert the Word document back to TXT format by going to "File->Save As" and selecting "Plain Text (.txt)" under "Save as type." This will strip your Word document of all formatting, however.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for