Although it may seem trivial, knowing how to remove the seat from your Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic is required to perform some of the maintenance items you will need later. In fact, some of the items that may need attention every now and then, such as your battery or fuses, reside in the area directly below your seat. Luckily, removing the seat requires a very short learning curve and will only take a few minutes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Torx drivers
Remove the passenger seat strap by removing the Torx head screw from the strap's bracket on either side of the seat. Lift the loose end of the strap over the seat and lay it down gently to prevent damaging the fender.
Remove the Torx head bolt from the rear of the passenger seat.
Lift the entire seat upwards slightly and pull to the rear of the motorcycle. This will disengage the seat from the catch tab below the fuel tank. Pull the seat free from the motorcycle.
Hold the seat at a slight angle with the rider's saddle tipped downward. Slide the seat forward and slip the metal tab under the saddle into the catch tab on the frame.
Lower the rear of the seat onto the frame and tighten the Torx head bolt to secure the seat to the fender.
Lift the loose end of the seat strap over and across the seat. Secure it in place by tightening the Torx head bolt into the strap bracket on the side of the fender.
Tips and warnings
- Older models may have a Phillips-type bolt, requiring a Phillips head screwdriver for removal.
- Be sure that the seat is completely seated in the frame before bolting it into place.
- For exact details pertaining to your specific model, refer to your owner's manual.
- If you do not feel that you can complete this project, consult a qualified technician.
- Check that the seat is locked into position. A loosely mounted seat can shift while riding and cause a loss of control.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for