Silica gel is a granule compound that resembles crystals. Silica gel is an effective desiccant that readily absorbs moisture from surrounding materials. As silica gel absorbs moisture, it changes from a blue colour to a pink colour. When silica gel is completely pink, it will no longer be able to absorb moisture and you must regenerate the silica gel in order to reuse it. Use a standard oven to regenerate your silica gel for reuse.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Shallow pan
- Plastic container (with lid)
Preheat the oven to 135 degrees Celsius.
Spread the pink silica gel into the shallow pan so it is in a thin and even layer.
Place the pan into the oven and dry the silica gel until it turns completely blue again. It will take between one and two hours to dry approximately one quart of silica gel.
Remove the silica gel when it is blue and let it cool.
Pour the blue silica gel into a plastic container to store it until you are ready to use it again.
Tips and warnings
- Regenerate silica gel numerous times. Eventually the silica gel will reach a point where it does not regenerate sufficiently. You will know when this occurs because the silica gel will not return to the blue colour after you heat it in the oven. Discard this silica gel and use fresh silica gel.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for