Aromatherapy involves the use of essential oils made from the aromatic parts of botanicals. According to Columbia University Medical Center, the healing benefits of aromatherapy have been used to aid in emotional, spiritual and physical improvement for nearly a millennium. The quality of the essential oil must be high to achieve the best benefits. Essential oils are being used in the treatment of degenerative diseases, like cancer, to enhance quality of life. They can help to ease anxiety, encourage the appetite, reduce nausea and promote sleep. Plug-in essential oil diffusers are a convenient way to use aromatherapy in the home and in the car, and occasionally will require refilling.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Plug-in diffuser
- Essential oil
- Replacement scent pad
- Plastic sandwich baggie or small plastic container
- Clean, dry towel
Unplug the essential oil diffuser. Whether the diffuser is plugged into an electrical socket or your car's power outlet, it should always be unplugged before handling. If the diffuser feels warm, allow it to cool before continuing.
Open the scent pad holder. Your plug-in diffuser will have a slotted area where the scent pad rests. Gently slide the slotted cover off the diffuser and set it on a surface.
Remove the used scent pad from the diffuser. The scent pad should still be usable and can be stored until needed. Place the used scent pad in a plastic baggie or container to contain the scent and keep it from drying out.
Place five drops of essential oil on the replacement scent pad. Do not add too much oil to the pad as high concentrations of essential oils can become more irritating than soothing. For example, the essential oil lavender is often used to encourage sleep but too much can result in insomnia.
Lay the replacement pad flat on the plug-in diffuser pad holder. Take the slotted cover and slide it back into place over the scent pad. Make sure that it fits securely.
Clean the plug-in diffuser. Wipe any dust or spilt oil off the diffuser with a clean dry towel. As with any electrical appliance, it is important that the diffuser is clean and that airflow is unobstructed.
Plug your diffuser back into the electrical socket. Your diffuser is ready for use again and you can now enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy.
Tips and warnings
- Plug-in diffusers are typically sold with five replacement scent pads.
- Extra replacement scent pads can be purchased separately for many plug-in diffusers.
- Diffusers are generally used for a period of 15 to 30 minutes.
- Some essential oils can help to purify air by removing harmful microbes.
- Always follow the directions or manual of your diffuser for use and maintenance.
- Do not use sedating essential oils in your vehicle.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for