Laptops make working in different places much easier, as they can use programs such as word processors, spreadsheets and e-mail clients just about anywhere. Even better, laptops can also connect wirelessly to a network and have a printer that's on the network print out certain documents. This will eliminate the need to install printer drivers using an installation CD and having to physically connect the laptop to the printer, possibly removing connections to other computers.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Printer connected by Ethernet or wireless connection to a network
- Laptop with wireless adaptor
Turn on wireless Internet using the switch on the outside of your laptop.
Access the wireless network icon located in your status bar by double-clicking it. The icon looks like an antenna.
Select the network with the printer when the list of networks appears. Enter your user name and/or pass code for entering the network if applicable.
Go to "My Computer," then select "Control Panel."
Click on the "Printers" icon in the Control Panel to bring up the printer list.
Click on the "Add New Printer" text to the left of the printer list to open the printer-adding wizard.
Choose the option for connecting to a printer on a network.
Select the "Browse for a Printer" option in the next window. Alternatively, if you know the path of the printer you want to connect to, select the option to connect to the printer using a path and enter the network path.
Browse for the printer you want in the next window. When you find it, click on it and then click "Next." Decide whether you want to make the printer the default printer of your computer, then click "Next" to finish the set-up.
Tips and warnings
- If the printer is connected to a computer by USB or parallel and not by Ethernet or Wi-Fi, you will need to enable sharing on the computer or have someone do it for you.
- If you don't plan to use this printer often, do not make it your default printer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for