Skype is one of the most popular free ways to chat, talk and video conference around the world. The video conferencing function is becoming more and more common as access to webcams and high-speed Internet has improved. But how to record a Skype video conference for later reference? There are two ways to do it, and both involve installing a free Skype plugin. In fact, it is surprisingly easy.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- The free Skype software with Skype account
- High-speed Internet access
- Computer RAM (short-term memory) of at least 1 GB
Launch Skype and log in. You cannot install the required video conference recording plugin while offline. Set your status to "Invisible" if you wish not to be disturbed while installing the plugin.
Click "Tools," "Extras," and "Get Extras" from the top menu bar in Skype. This opens the Extras Manager.
Type "record video" in the search box in the Extras Manager. Two plugins will appear: VodBurner Video Call Recorder and Supertintin Recorder for Skype. We will use the latter plugin.
Click the green button next to the Supertintin plugin to install it on your computer's hard drive.
Follow the installation wizard, choosing all the defaults for Supertintin. Plugin installation is now complete, and no restart is necessary. From now on, every time you start Skype, Supertintin will also start up in a separate window.
Click the red "Record" button whenever you are on a Skype video conference to record it to your hard drive.
Tips and warnings
- You can record either your own video, the video of other participants, or both. Simply select your preference from the lower-right drop-down menu in Supertintin before recording.
- To change the hard drive location where your video conferences will be saved, select "change" from the bottom edge of the Supertintin program.
- Never record anyone without their permission.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for