Discoloured or stained grout on a slate floor can make the entire area look dirty. Because of this, cleaning the grout is necessary. When you are dealing with a slate floor, using most traditional floor care chemicals isn't recommended because these products may damage the floor. However, it is possible to clean the grout using cleaning agents that won't irreversibly damage the slate floor.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Dish detergent
- Baking soda
Keep the slate and grout clean by mopping the floor with a damp mop at least every other day. A wet mop may cause streaking.
Blot up spills as soon as they occur using a clean towel. Food and drinks may cause discolouration in the grout.
Wipe the grout with a towel dampened with one part plain dish detergent and four parts water. Don't use any detergent that has bleach or bleach alternatives.
Scrub the grout using a toothbrush if there are stains or spots that won't come off with the towel. Use one part dish detergent, one part baking soda and four parts water to dampen the toothbrush.
Dry the grout immediately after you clean it. Allowing water to set on the grout may cause cracks and chips.
Apply an acid wash to the tile and grout if there are still stains and discolouration. Acid washes for slate flooring are available at most tile stores and home improvement centres. Follow the manufacturer's directions for the acid wash.
Hire a professional to resurface the floor and repair grout if the floor is in really bad shape or if your previous efforts to clean the grout have failed.
Tips and warnings
- Consider having your slate floor sealed with an acrylic sealer. These sealers make it easier to care for the floor and help to protect the grout and tile.
- If you notice white deposits on your slate flooring, these are most likely mineral deposits from the grout or mortar. To get clean these, you have to carefully scrape off any heavy deposits using a putty knife prior to trying to clean the grout or tile.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for