High humidity can create conditions that are perfect for mould growth. Mold is not only unsightly and can present health hazards, but it can also stain surfaces. Unfortunately, one such place for mould growth is on the surface and in the folds of rubber gaskets that provide a tight seal around doors, especially refrigerator and freezer doors. It is not difficult to clean the gaskets, but it is important to use solutions that will kill the quick-growing mould.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White vinegar
- Clean rags
- Soft-bristled toothbrush
- Paper towels
- Measuring cup
- Rubber gloves
- Clean jar with lid
- Large plastic garbage bag
Place a large plastic garbage bag on the floor in front of the refrigerator or freezer door to protect the floor from drips. Put on rubber gloves; measure 1 cup of bleach and pour it into a bucket containing 1 gallon of water.
Dip a clean rag into the bleach solution, wring out the rag and wipe it over the mouldy gasket. Repeat at least three times, and then allow the solution to soak on the gasket for about 10 minutes.
Dip a clean, soft-bristled toothbrush into the solution and scrub the crevices of the gasket to remove all traces of mould.
Wet a clean rag in some clean water and wipe down the gasket to rinse off the bleach solution. Dry the gasket thoroughly with a dry paper towel.
Mix a solution of 1 cup of white vinegar with 1 cup of water and put it into a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Dip a clean rag into the jar, wipe down the gasket and rinse it every week to prevent the mould from returning. If the mould does return, repeat the bleach solution treatment.
How to Remove Mold From a Door Gasket
Tips and warnings
- If you wish to reuse your rags, be sure to wash them in hot water containing bleach to remove all traces of mould.
- It is wise to wear goggles when working with bleach or any other caustic solution.
- Be careful not to splash bleach in your eyes or on any coloured fabric or flooring.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for