Accidents happen every day inside homes, including melting plastic in the microwave, toaster oven, conventional ovens or setting plastic on hot burners on the stove. This creates a smell of burnt plastic, which is very unpleasant. The smell seems to soak into everything and can be very difficult to remove. It is important that you do not breathe in excessive fumes from melting plastic after removing the plastic from the heat source immediately.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clorox 2 or white distilled vinegar
- Febreze or another odour neutralising agent
- Disinfecting wipes
- Scented candles, essential oils or sage leaves
- Candle holder or glass bowl
Air out the house immediately after the plastic is removed from the heat source by opening up all windows and leaving until the smoke and the majority of fumes have dissipated (at least an hour).
Wash all clothes that smell like burnt plastic, and add a capful of Clorox 2 or a cup of white distilled vinegar into the wash.
Spray all furniture and other household fabrics with an odour-neutralising spray.
Wipe down all hard surfaces with disinfecting wipes.
Set candles in candle holders and burn, or put some essential oils such as eucalyptus, cinnamon or orange in a small glass bowl, or burn sage leaves in a glass bowl. Place one or more of these in all rooms that have a burnt-plastic smell.
Tips and warnings
- Choose candles with strong and pleasant scents. The candles infused with essential oils are the best option for this kind of problem.
- Watch the burning sage at all times to avoid a fire.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for