Disposing of used laptop batteries properly is very important for safety and environmental purposes. Batteries contain many different toxic chemicals that can be harmful to people and the environment. If you try to burn them for example, dangerous heavy metals will be released into the air. By tossing them into the trash, those same chemicals will leak into the ground at the local landfill. The best way to dispose of a laptop battery is to take it to a local battery recycling centre.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Heavy tape or plastic bags
Call the consumer helpline at 1-800-8-BATTERY to find a local recycling centre near you.
Put each battery individually into a plastic bag or cover each battery's terminals with strong, heavy duty tape such as duct tape.
Take your sealed or bagged batteries to the local drop-off centre.
Tips and warnings
- Common battery drop-off centres in the U.S. include Walmart, Target, Home Depot, RadioShack and many wireless cell phone stores.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for