Your Honda CR-V is designed to be a reliable and durable vehicle; nevertheless, all vehicles use a bit of oil as they age, depending on the quality of your internal seals and gaskets. For this reason, it's recommended to check your oil level frequently, especially as the vehicle ages. If your oil level is low, you'll need to add a satisfactory amount. Honda recommends 5W-20 oil for the CR-V.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paper towel or shop rag
- Funnel (optional)
- 5W-20 engine oil (optional)
Shut your engine off and let it cool for five to 10 minutes before proceeding.
Open your hood. Raise the manual hood prop to support it.
Remove the oil dip stick. The dip stick is in the centre of your engine bay; the handle is orange and L-shaped.
Wipe the dip stick indicator clean. Use a dry paper towel or shop rag.
Reinsert the dip stick fully and then pull it out again. This ensures you receive an accurate reading.
Examine the dip stick indicator to determine the oil level. There are two marks on the dip stick: the upper and lower mark. Ideally, the oil line should be in the middle of the marks.
Add oil if necessary. Remove the oil fill cap located next to the dip stick handle and use a funnel to add oil. Add 1/2 a quart at a time: check the indicator again and add more if necessary.
Tips and warnings
- Do not overfill your engine with oil. Too much oil can be just as bad as too little oil. If your oil indicator is over the upper mark, do not drive your vehicle. Contact a service professional.
- Don't forget to replace the engine oil cap if adding oil.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for