Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a method of calling people. Unlike landlines and cell phones, which connect through physical wires or antennas, VoIP connects calls through the Internet, which is often much cheaper. One of the most popular VoIP programs available is Skype, which offers free calling to other Skype users and very cheap calls to landlines and cell phone in several different countries.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Computer with Internet access (DSL or better)
- Web browser
Download Skype from the Skype website (see Resources below for a download link). Click on the link indicated to install the program.
Run the program you downloaded to begin the Skype installation program.
Follow the prompts as they appear on the installer to install Skype.
Connect your microphone to your computer. If your microphone is part of your headset, connect the headset instead.
Run Skype. This brings up the Skype configuration screen, which prompts you to enter your Skype username and password.
Enter your Skype username and password. If you do not have an account yet, you can click "New Account" from the drop down menu and follow the prompts to create an account.
Press the "OK" button to connect to the Skype network. This opens up Skype's main menu.
Tips and warnings
- Click the "New" icon on the left of the screen to add a contact you know on Skype.
- Skype cannot call 911, so don't use it as a full phone replacement service.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for