Mascara is a make-up item used to separate, thicken, lengthen and condition the upper and lower eyelashes. Making your own mascara allows you to avoid using any chemical substances, such as preservatives, that are commonly used in branded mascaras. Store-bought mascaras can be costly, but you can create you own mascara at home for a fraction of the price. All the materials required to make mascara can be purchased from health stores or online retailers.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Activated charcoal capsule
- Aloe vera gel
- Mascara wand
- Small ceramic bowl
Break open the activated charcoal capsule and tip the powder into the small bowl.
Measure 1/4 teaspoon of the aloe vera gel and pour it into the bowl.
Mix the charcoal and aloe vera together with the spoon until it forms a smooth paste.
Dip the mascara wand into the paste. Wipe off any excess paste from the wand onto the side of the small bowl. Brush the mascara wand through your upper and lower lashes. Apply several coats if desired.
Tips and warnings
- Use less charcoal powder for a lighter coloured mascara.
- Always use a clean and sterilised mascara wand.
- Do not get the mascara mixture in your eyes, if this happens wash the eyes immediately with fresh water.
- The mixture does not contain any preservatives, therefore it should be disposed of after one use.
- This mascara is not waterproof.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for