Microsoft Outlook Express is the free version of the Microsoft e-mail client. Outlook Express, like most software, requires periodic updates to keep it running smoothly and correctly. If you do not have automatic updates turned on, you have to update Outlook Express manually to ensure the program stays up to date.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Open Outlook Express from your desktop, start menu or quick launch bar if you have a shortcut.
Click on "Help" in the top menu bar in Outlook Express.
Hover over "Microsoft on the web" in the drop-down menu and select "Windows Update" from the pop-out menu. This will open the Windows update site. If it does not open in your web browser, copy and paste the URL into the browser window.
Allow the site to check your computer for the latest version of the update software. You may be required to install it by following some self-explanatory instructions on the site.
Select "Express" from the options for what updates to check for once you are prompted. This will check all your Microsoft software for missing updates. Once the process is completed, the Microsoft update website will let you know if you need updates. If you do not need updates, your Outlook Express is up to date and you can close everything. If the site says you need updates, continue to Step 6.
Select to download and install updates that are available for your computer. This will include any updates for Outlook Express.
Follow the self-explanatory instructions using default settings to download and install updates.
Tips and warnings
- Turn on automatic updates to ensure your Microsoft Outlook Express is always up to date.
- Never skip updates to your software that connects to the Internet, a remote server or an e-mail server. These are frequently security-related updates.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for