Office chairs are destructive to carpet. Their casters make indentations in the carpet's surface when people sit in chairs and when chairs are rolled along the carpet. Over time, these indentations cut deep into the carpet fibre, and the carpet eventually needs replacement. To protect carpet in an office, purchase chair mats that are rigid and can withstand the weight of the chair and the person sitting in the chair.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Bevelled edge chair mats -- thickness according to carpet type
Remove the office chair and any items sitting around the desk or workspace. Vacuum the area to remove dust and dirt.
Place a .125 intermediate thickness bevelled-edge chair mat where your office chair sits if the carpet is low pile (3/8" or less with padding).
Place a .145 standard thickness bevelled-edge chair mat where your office chair sits if the carpet is medium pile (3/4" or less with padding).
Place a .200 premium thickness bevelled-edge chair mat where your office chair sits if the carpet is thick pile (3/5" or more with padding).
Walk on the chair mat to push it into the carpet, then place the office chair on the mat. Return accessories to the desk or workspace.
Tips and warnings
- Try not to roll your chair off the chair mat. If you do find yourself rolling to an area near your desk, consider purchasing a chair mat for that area as well.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for