Self cleaning vintage faux fur coats can be done at home only on coats that are machine washable. Cleaning any coat labelled "Dry Clean Only" can damage the coat’s fabric or fur beyond repair. It is especially important to follow the manufacturer’s direction on vintage coats. Some faux fur coats can deteriorate with age. Cleaning these coats in an unapproved way can cause further damage.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/2-cup measuring cup
- Mild soap
- White wash cloth
- Fabric freshening spray
- Paper towels
- Clothes brush
Place 1/2 cup of water in small bowl. Add two drops of mild soap. Mix thoroughly and let it sit for about two minutes.
Carefully dab one end of a white washcloth into the water mixture. Wring the washcloth out so that it is damp and not dripping with water.
Gently rub any soiled areas of the vintage faux coat with the washcloth. Follow the pattern of the fur to keep the fur looking its best.
Hang the coat and allow it to air dry.
Brush the dry faux fur with a clothing brush in the same direction as lines of the fur, if needed.
Turn the coat inside out and lay it on a flat surface.
Lightly spray the lining of the coat with a fabric freshening spray. Let the coat dry and turn it right side out.
Select a test area on the inside of the coat before spraying the outside of the coat with the fabric freshening spray. If the fur is colour-fast, proceed.
Lightly spray the outside of the fur coat with the fabric freshening spray. Wipe the coat down with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Do not allow the liquid to accumulate on the fur.
Tips and warnings
- Brush your vintage faux fur coat weekly to maintain its looks. Always brush the coat in the same direction as the fur is laying.
- Some faux fur coats must be cleaned by a fur cleaner. Always check the label before washing or sending the coat to a dry cleaner.
- Clean your faux fur coat at least once a year too keep it looking new. If you wear your vintage fur on a regular basis, cleaning your coat once a week is recommended.
- Only spot wash faux fur coats that have a wash and wear label.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for