Teak oil is the perfect choice to bring a rich golden sheen to your raw wood garden furniture. It's not as messy as a stain or sealer, and you don't have to sand raw wood before you apply teak oil. While raw wood will require a few coats of teak oil, the application process is simple. Just follow the steps below, and in as little as three days your raw wood will be glowing.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Raw wood
- Rubber gloves
- Teak oil
Place the raw wood to be oiled in well-ventilated area, either outside or in a garage or workshop with the windows open. Shake the capped bottle of teak oil for 30 seconds.
Put on rubber gloves, and pour teak oil onto a clean, lint-free cloth. You can purchase teak oil at any home and garden superstore.
Apply the teak oil to the raw wood in straight lines, working from top to bottom. Add more teak oil to the rag as necessary. Coat the entire piece with oil, wait 15 minutes, and wipe off any excess with a clean, dry rag following the grain of the wood. Allow the piece to dry overnight.
Repeat the teak oil application process, wait 15 minutes, wipe with a clean, dry rag following the grain of the wood and allow the wooden piece to dry overnight again.
Repeat the teak oil application process a third time, wait 15 minutes, wipe with a clean, dry rag following the grain of the wood and allow the furniture to dry overnight a final time.
Tips and warnings
- If at any stage in the oiling process, your raw wood takes more than one night to dry, then the wood is saturated and does not need another coat of teak oil. Wipe the wood with a clean, dry cloth following the grain of the wood and allow the oil you have already applied to absorb into the wood completely before using the piece.
- Raw wood needs to be treated with teak oil every three months. To keep your wood looking its best, store it in a garage or shed during the off season.
- Always wear long trousers and rubber gloves when you work with teak oil as it can irritate your skin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for