Even if you don't live in tornado alley, you need to anchor your storage shed to the ground unless it has a concrete foundation. Thunderstorms may produce winds strong enough to damage a shed, along with property around the shed if it gets blown around. Check with your local permit department to see if they, or local building codes, require tie-down kits for sheds.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Safety glasses
- Work gloves
- Tie-down anchor kits
- Wire cutters
- Bolt cutter (optional)
- Adjustable wrench
- Electrician wire snake (optional)
- Exterior-grade duct tape
Start by putting on your safety equipment.
Hammer in a shed anchor at each corner of the shed at a slight angle until the flat cutting surface touches the ground. The anchors head should be a few inches away from the shed's foundation.
Use a crowbar for leverage to twist the tie down into the ground until only the eye loop is showing.
Fish a piece of wire cable, that came with the tie-down kit, under the shed and over the two skids to the opposite side of the shed. The wire will run perpendicular to the skids.
Attach one side of the wire to the shed anchors and secure with fasteners provided. Cut the other end of the wire with a pair of wire cutters, removing as much extra wire as possible. Attach this end to the anchor as before.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the other side.
Tips and warnings
- Water the ground where the anchors are to be used the day before to make it easier to get the anchors into the ground.
- A electrician wire snake will make it easier to fish the wire under the shed.
- If your shed has grass growing around it, place the shed anchors close to the shed so they will end up right next to the shed. This will make mowing easier.
- Use bolt cutters to make cutting the wire easier.
- Tape the ends of the wire with an exterior-grade duct tape.
- Take care when cutting the wires. Wire has a tendency to untwist quickly when cut, and its very sharp edges can slice through skin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for