Cleaning carpets may be a daily, weekly or monthly job depending upon how often stains occur on your carpet. Instead of using harsh and possibly harmful chemicals, use environmentally friendly and safe ingredients to clean your carpet. A basic white vinegar and water solution is effective for removing a variety of carpet stains, and it can freshen and renew a tired and dingy carpet as well.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White vinegar
- Cool water
- Spray bottle
- Stiff-bristled scrub brush
- Washing up liquid
Mix one part white vinegar and one part cool water and pour the solution into the spray bottle. Cover the spray bottle and shake it well to combine the ingredients.
Spray the vinegar and water solution on a small, inconspicuous spot on your carpet and wait for 10 minutes to make sure the solution does not damage your carpet. Proceed with the next step if there is no change to the colour of your carpet after 10 minutes.
Spray the vinegar solution over stains. Allow the solution to sit on the stains for five to 10 minutes.
Fill the bucket with soapy water and dip the brush in the water and scrub the stains.
Rinse the area well with plain water.
Tips and warnings
- Use the vinegar and water spray as an all-over carpet spray to renew your carpet when it looks dingy. Spray the carpet lightly and scrub the carpet to remove superficial stains that make the carpet look dull and dirty. Spray the carpet lightly with plain water after scrubbing.
- Make a powerful stain-lifter by mixing a 100 g (1/4 cup) of borax, 68 g (1/4 cup) of salt, and a 59 ml (1/4 cup) of white vinegar into a paste. Work the paste directly into carpet stains and allow it to sit for two hours. Remove the dried paste by vacuuming.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for