When your Toshiba Satellite laptop is not functioning correctly, there are some simple troubleshooting steps you can take. However, once those steps are exhausted, the best solution may be to delete everything and start over. If your system frequently crashes or you can't remove a specific virus, you may want to restore the laptop back to original factory settings. While the easiest way to restore the system is to use the operating system restore disc, it is possible to restore the system without it. Each Satellite laptop also includes a hard drive recovery utility that lets you restore the operating system.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Transfer any personal data on the computer to a external storage device such as a CD, external hard drive or flash drive.
Restart the Toshiba Satellite laptop and wait for the Toshiba logo to appear on the screen.
Press the key that brings up the hard drive disk utility menu. Depending on the specific model of your Toshiba Satellite laptop, the key will either be "0," "F1" or "F8."
Press "1" or click "Restore Original Factory Image." Click "Yes." Select "Next" to begin the restoration process.
Restart the Toshiba laptop when the restoration process finishes. Follow the prompts that appear on the screen to set up the laptop's date, time and language settings.
Transfer the data you saved earlier back to the laptop's hard drive. Install any programs you need, such as your software firewall or antivirus program.
Tips and warnings
- The hard drive restore utility is saved on a separate partition on the Toshiba laptop's hard drive. If that partition has been formatted you won't be able to use the restore utility. If you don't have the operating system recovery disc and the partition has been formatted, you will need to contact Toshiba's customer support to have them send you a new disc.
- All of your personal data will be permanently removed from the hard drive when the factory restore process has finished running.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for