Most newer Toyota vehicles come with two keys--a door key (also known as a "regional key" or "valet key") and a remote key. If one or both of these keys is lost, contact a Toyota dealer so a replacement can be issued. The dealership can program any codes that are needed so the keys will work. Toyota wants to protect the owners of its vehicles, so before any replacement keys are made, you must show proof of ownership. The process is moderately easy, but does require some fees.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Vehicle identification (VIN) number
- Owner's manual
- Car title
- Driver's license
- Proof of insurance
Visit your local Toyota dealer. Provide the dealer with your VIN number and driver's license.
Establish proof of ownership. Provide the dealer with proof of insurance or the title of the vehicle.
Pay the service fee. As of 2009, a basic Toyota replacement key cost between £9 and £16, depending on the make, model and year of the vehicle.
Tow the vehicle to your local Toyota dealer. Provide the dealer with your vehicle identification number and proof of ownership. In most cases, the dealer can replace and program the key and remote within one visit. Many dealers maintain key and remote replacements on-site, eliminating the need to order replacement keys.
The dealer must program a new code into the new remote control. The programming process requires that the vehicle be on-site, so this step is 100 per cent necessary. The dealer will complete the process, synching the new remote to the flash in the main computer of your vehicle.
Pay the service and programming fees. A service fee is required to replace the door key. An additional programming fee is also required to sync the chip inside the remote control to your vehicle. As of 2009, the service fee can range from £39 to £52 and the programming fee can range from £65 to several hundred dollars depending on the make, model and year of the vehicle and type of remote.
Tips and warnings
- Contact Toyota directly for additional assistance. Go to the Toyota website or call (800) 331-4331.
- Pricing and service times may vary by dealership.
- It is not necessary to bring the vehicle to the dealership if you are only replacing the door key and have the VIN, owner's manual, proof of ownership and proof of ID.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for