It’s not actually the egg that smells terrible—it’s a chemical gas called hydrogen sulphide, which is produced when bacteria break down the sulphates in the egg into organic matter. In the absence of oxygen, this is what produces the foul odour. Many times the rotten smell could be coming from your floor, counter tops, sink, water, and water heater, among other things. Getting rid of that rotten smell is not difficult and does not take much effort.
Make sure you have a heavy-duty detergent and scrubber, such as a sponge, cloth or mop.
Pour a few drops of detergent on the scrubber. Then scrub and wipe the surface that smells.
Rinse with water. You will need to use a mild cleanser if you have hardwood floors.
Remove anything blocking the sink. The blockage could cause the growth of mould, which may be the reason for the foul smell. Broken pipes could be another cause as well. You will need a plumber's snake to remove the dirt and mould that has accumulated. You can also use enzyme cleaning products.
Check the anode rod on your water heater if this is where the smell is coming from. Replace the anode immediately if it has become decayed.
Mix 3 per cent peroxide with 40 gallons of water and then pour the solution into the water heater. Leave it for a few hours, and then flush it. Chlorinating the water heater and all hot water lines with bleach will also help eliminate the rotten egg smell by getting rid of bacteria build-up in the water heater.
Accumulated junk in water treatment systems may also be the cause of the rotten smell. Remove the old filter from the water treatment system and clean it well; then apply bleach to it.
Rinse the filter with water and place it back in the treatment system. If there is still gunk on the filter, you may need to buy a new one.
Exercise caution whenever you use chemicals. Keep them away from your eyes and mouth. If they come into contact with your eyes, flush your eyes out immediately with fresh water. If ingested, call your local poison control centre.
Tips and warnings
- Exercise caution whenever you use chemicals. Keep them away from your eyes and mouth. If they come into contact with your eyes, flush your eyes out immediately with fresh water. If ingested, call your local poison control centre.
Things you need
- Heavy-duty detergent
- Mild cleanser
- Plumber's snake
- Enzyme cleaning product