Toshiba Satellite Pro laptops are great for their portability and flexibility, but not so great for their screens and speakers. While watching a movie on your laptop by yourself may be fun, it's not so simple when you've got a crowd to entertain. Fortunately, Satellite Pro laptops have an HDMI port that will allow you to easily connect your computer to your HDTV. You can also connect to an older television, it just requires some extra equipment.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- HDMI cable
- HDMI to composite adaptor
Plug the HDMI cable into your laptop's HDMI port and into your TV's HDMI input.
Switch on both devices, then select your TV's HDMI input and open your computer's Control Panel.
Click on "Appearance and Personalization," then on "Connect to an External Display" under the "Display" heading.
Choose "Duplicate These Displays" or "Show Desktop Only on 2," depending on whether you want your laptop to show the movie along with the TV. Select the recommended resolution for your TV display.
Press "Play" and watch your video on the big screen.
Laptop to HDTV
Turn off your computer and television. Plug the HDMI cable into your Satellite Pro laptop and into the HDMI to composite adaptor. Attach the adaptor to the TV.
Turn on your TV and the adaptor. Turn your computer on and open the Control Panel. Click on "Appearance and Personalization," then "Adjust Screen Resolution" under the "Display" heading.
Set the screen resolution to the highest resolution supported by your adaptor (check the manual to find this). Return to the "Appearance and Personalization" page.
Click "Connect to an External Display" and follow any prompts that appear. If no picture is displayed on the TV, reboot your computer and turn the adaptor and the TV off, then back on.
Laptop to Older TV
Tips and warnings
- Many adaptors are available for televisions without HDMI inputs. These adaptors may have a coaxial, composite or S-video output. Check your TV to ensure that it has the input required by your adaptor.
- Your Satellite Pro laptop may support Toshiba's REGZA Link, which allows you to control a video played on your laptop with the same remote control you use for your television. Note that this capability is only available when you connect via HDMI without an adaptor.
- Don't set the refresh rate higher than your TV or laptop monitor can handle (for many models, the rate should be at 60 Hz). Setting this rate too high can keep your monitor or TV from displaying any picture at all.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for