Epson printers have built-in maintenance processes that count the number of pages for ink usage. These processes alert the user to change ink cartridges, clean the print heads, and change the waste ink pads (technical service). These automatic alerts may present a challenge to some users with a specific set-up, such as a continuous ink system, refilled cartridges, or photo printing. An Epson printer can be reset in varying degrees, from activating a reset menu on the physical printer to installing utilities and resetting software on a computer. Explore a method for your model of Epson inkjet colour printer.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Turn off your printer and unplug the USB cable and power cord.
Wait for two minutes and press and hold the "Paper Source," "Paper feed," and "Eject" buttons while plugging the cord into the outlet.
Continue to hold the buttons down and turn on the printer.
Count to five and release all three buttons.
Confirm that the display reads, "Settings" and press the down arrow button until the display reads, "Clear Counters."
Press the right arrow button to select the "Clear Counters" option.
Press the down arrow button to select "Maint Tank" and press the right arrow button to select this item.
Press the "Eject" or "Enter" button to save these settings.
Press the "Load/Eject" button to release the ink cartridges from their locked tray.
Open the lid for the ink compartment and lift each cartridge lock. Snap each cartridge lock closed.
Turn off the printer, plug the USB cable connection to the computer and turn on your printer to begin normal use.
Type the following address into the address bar of your browser to download and install the SSC Service Utility: sscig.com/epsone.shtml
Install the utility on your computer and it will create an icon on your Windows tray (bottom task bar) for quick access.
Locate the SSC Service Utility icon in your tray and right-click to select "Reset Counters."
Select "All" from the submenu or select each cartridge colour as desired.
SSC Service Utility
Type the following address into your browser's address bar to access the Epson ink Pad Reset Utility: epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/InkPadsForm.jsp
Select your model of printer from the drop-down menu, length of ownership from the drop-down menu, and complete the product information in the corresponding fields, including the serial number for your printer (information is located on the back of the printer or on the original Epson box).
Click the box next to the acknowledgement statement to agree to the terms and click the "Submit" button to begin downloading the utility.
Run the installer for the utility and click the "Next" button to proceed through the confirmation screens in the wizard.
Launch the Epson Ink Pad Reset Utility and select the function for "Ink monitor."
Set the levels to "0" by typing "0" in those fields or press the "Reset" button next to each colour cartridge.
Click the "Update" or "Save" button and exit the utility.
Ink Pad Reset Utility
Tips and warnings
- Consult your printer's owner's manual first before starting any reset process. Later printer models (such as the Epson R1400 and R1900) have a reset switch near the cartridge bank that can be depressed to reset levels.
- The Epson Ink Pad Reset Utility is only available for Windows XP and Vista; Mac users should borrow a PC if using this reset application.
- Resetting ink pad counters and ink levels without using an Epson Customer Care Service Center will most likely void your printer warranty.
- Depending on the printer model and reset method, the ink level for most printers will be inaccurate, unless full ink cartridges were installed before the reset. Monitor your ink levels closely.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for