Parrots enjoy having fun and need to get their exercise. While various gyms and playstands are available for purchase, the cost can be pretty expensive. You also run the risk with store bought equipment that it will not fit in your living quarters. You don't need a lot of experience or expensive tools to build your own playstand from PVC pipes that you can customise so that it fits in your home.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- 5 1/2 foot length of 3 1/2 inch diameter PVC piping
- 3 1/2 inch diameter PVC coupler
- 3 1/2 inch diameter PVC floor drain ring
- 2 stainless steel bird bowls of 3 3/4 inches, one with a right angle mount
- 2 wooden dowels with a 1 1/4 inch diameter
- 2 wooden dowels with a 3/4 inch diameter
- 1 bird ladder that is 5 3/4 inches wide and 27 inches long
- 1 bird ladder that is 5 3/4 inches wide and 17 inches long
- 8 eye hooks to hand ladder of a 1/2 inch size
- 1 piece of plywood that is 18 inches square and 3/4 inches thick
- 1 hot water heater dripping pan with a 25 inch diameter
- 1 black rubber pipe connector coupler that is 3 1/2 inches
- Chains (optional)
- Bell (optional)
- Other toys (optional)
- Electric drill
Screw the 3 1/2 inch PVC floor drain ring to the plywood to form the base of the playstand.
Fit PVC pipe into the drain ring base.
Measure 5 inches from the top of the PVC pipe and drill a hole for mounting the right angle dish. This dish will be used for treats.
Drill two holes in the PVC pipe for each dowel. The dowels will serve as perches. Make sure to drill holes that are the correct size for each dowel. The dowels can be mounted at right angles or staggered angles one beneath another.
Drill holes in the ladder ends of the 27-inch-long ladder and screw in eye hooks. Drill two holes in the top perch that are the same width apart as the ladder ends. Using the pliers, pry open two of the eye hooks and screw these into the holes on the perch. Attach the ladder with the other eye hooks, then close the open eye hooks. Repeat this step using the 17-inch ladder and the second perch.
File the interior of one end of the PVC piping so that the other food dish will fit inside it. This dish will be used for water.
Remove the PVC pipe from the base by standing on the plywood while gently rocking the pipe back and forth. Cut a hole in the centre of the hot water heater dripping pan that is the size of the PVC pipe. Slide the dripping pan onto the pipe from the bottom. Work the black rubber coupler up the pipe until the dripping pan is at a height that is out of reach of the bird on the lowest perch. Refit the pipe into the base.
Finish off your playstand by accenting it with chains and other toys.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for