The trick of getting hair to look shiny and wet when it actually isn't is very simple to achieve with the right product and styling. The wet hair look is popular with both men and women, and can be done on short and long styles and straight and curly hair. It is also a popular style for those who have naturally frizzy hair, because it reduces frizz and holds hair in place. People who want something low maintenance during a busy day or night out dancing might also favour this look.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Warm water
- Hair gel or mousse
- Hair wax
- Shine spray
Wash your hair with shampoo and apply conditioner to the ends; leave it on for five minutes.
Rinse out the conditioner and then pat your hair dry with a towel to absorb all of the excess water.
Brush your hair to remove any knots and tangles, and comb in the parting that you want to have.
Follow the instructions on your hair gel or mousse about how much product to use (it differs among products and brands). Put it onto your palm first and then rub your hands together before smoothing it into your hair, making sure you apply it everywhere.
Style your hair in the way you want it to set, for example, scrunching it up if you want loose waves or combing in a quiff at the front. If you have very thick or curly hair, run a pea-sized amount of wax through the ends, which will make it easier to style.
Let your hair dry and the product set. If you are in a rush, use a blow dryer to do this. The product will cause strands of your hair to stick together, like they do when it is wet, which will give you the wet look you want.
Spray your hair with the shine spray, applying it liberally to your head and evenly so you achieve a glossy finish all over.
Tips and warnings
- Choose a good quality, nonflake gel or mousse; some create a flaky residue when dry that can resemble dandruff, which isn't a good look.
- Don't put too much product in your hair, as it will end up looking stiff and feeling crunchy.
- If you get hair product in your eyes, wash them immediately with warm water.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for