Flighty fairies capture children's imaginations with their ability to perform magic and their propensity for mischief. If pixies fascinate your child, host a party to salute the fanciful creatures. Design decorations to transform the event room into a sweet area with an enchanting atmosphere where the kids can laugh and play. The decorating ideas also lend themselves to a bedroom or nursery if you want to surround your child with the magical fairy land feel for longer than a day.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 6-foot-long silk ivy garland
- Temporary adhesive
- Artificial butterflies
- White glue
- Hand-held hole punch
- Clear fishing line
- 12-by-12-inch pieces of pink, yellow, blue, lavender and green cardstock
- Pink or white twinkle lights
- Electrical tape
- White or pink tulle
- Flower, dragonfly or butterfly stickers
- Pastel-coloured silk flowers
- Baskets or white tin buckets
Hang 6-foot-long tendrils of silk ivy garland sold at craft stores in the corners of the room with temporary adhesive. Use 12 to 24 strands, depending on how much of an enchanted forest atmosphere you want to create. You can also wind the garland around chair backs, pillars or door knobs.
Affix colourful artificial butterflies in random spots along the garland with dabs of white glue. Hang additional butterflies from the ceiling by using a hand-held hole punch to make two small holes along the body of each butterfly, threading two ends of a 10-foot-long piece of clear fishing line up through the holes and attaching the thread to the ceiling with tape.
Draw 11-inch-tall looping flowers onto the back of 12-by-12-inch pieces of pink, yellow, light blue and lavender cardstock. Use scissors to cut the shapes out. Paint the flower edges and centres with a thin layer of white glue and sprinkle the adhesive with white or silver glitter. Tap off the excess glitter and hang the flowers along the wall at the kids' eye level with temporary adhesive. Cut 3-inch-wide stems from light green cardstock and affix one below each flower.
Drape pink or white twinkle lights around doorways and window frames. Affix the strands with small pieces of electrical tape that match the surface of the door or window frame.
Cover tables with airy white or pink tulle. Affix flower, whimsical butterfly or dragonfly stickers along the edges. Display arrangements of pastel-coloured silk flowers in baskets or white tin buckets.
Tips and warnings
- If you don't want to draw the outlines for the flower cutouts freehand, enlarge a clip art flower image to the desired size, cut it out and trace the shape onto the back of your cardstock.
- When hosting a fairy party, contribute to the atmosphere by giving each guest a magic wand to wave during the festivities. For each wand, cut two 3-inch-tall star shapes out of pink cardstock with scissors --- round the edges so the kids won't poke each other with the sharp star corners. Coat each star with white glue and sprinkle with glitter. Affix the stars back to back with white glue with a 6-inch, blunt wood dowel sandwiched between them.
- Before hanging twinkle lights at a fairy-themed party, ensure the kids are old enough to avoid playing with the electric strand of lights or have an adult supervising the area at all times.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for