Most of Chrysler's PT Cruisers comes equipped with remote keyless entry and a sentry key immobiliser system that immobilises the engine if anyone attempts to start the car without a securely programmed key. Sentry keys come with a built-in transponder programmed to start only your PT Cruiser. You can purchase replacement keys from your dealer or some of the large chain hardware stores. The cost of replacement keys start at £16 and can go as high as £65 or more.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Two valid sentry keys
- One blank sentry key
Bring the replacement sentry key to a hardware store or dealership. Have it cut to match the original valid sentry keys.
Place the first valid key into the PT Cruiser's ignition and turn to the ON position for a minimum of three seconds and a maximum of 15 seconds. Turn ignition switch off until it is in the LOCK position and remove the key.
Within 15 seconds, insert the second valid key and turn the ignition to the ON position. Wait ten seconds or until a chime sounds and the vehicle security light begins to flash. Turn the ignition off until it is in the LOCK position and remove the key.
Within 60 seconds, insert the new blank sentry key into the ignition switch and turn it to the ON position. Wait 10 seconds or until you hear a single chime and the vehicle security light stops flashing. Look for the indicator light on the dashboard. If it turns on for three seconds and then turns off, the key has been successfully programmed.
Tips and warnings
- If you do not have two valid sentry keys, you will have to have new keys programmed at the dealership. Blank sentry keys cost substantially more at a car dealership, so purchase them elsewhere before returning to the dealership to have them programmed.
- If a sentry will not complete the programming sequence, the key might have previously been programmed to another PT Cruiser. Return the key and be sure to purchase one that has not been previously used .
- If any valid keys are lost, return to the car dealership to have all keys replaced to avoid the possibility of car theft.
- A maximum of eight sentry keys can be programmed to your car before you need to visit a dealership for additional keys.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for