Everyone does it, from teenagers to grandparents and all ages in between. E-mail has become the preferred way to stay in touch in today's hectic world. It's easy to personalise e-mails to friends and family with heartfelt words and sentiments. It's also easy to add emotional touches to e-mails by inserting smiley face and other expressive icons. Called "emoticons," smiley faces can help illustrate that funny joke or comment.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- E-mail program
Open your e-mail program and click on the "New" or "Compose" button to open a blank e-mail. Popular e-mail programs include Yahoo!, MSN, AOL and Microsoft Outlook.
Look at the menu bar above the blank area where you type your e-mail message. Click on the yellow face icon with the sunglasses.
Select the smiley face icon that you want from the drop-down box that appears after clicking on the yellow face with the sunglasses. Click on the smiley face icon that you want and it will be inserted into your e-mail.
Inserting Smiley Face Icons
Hold the "Shift" key and hit the semicolon/colon key. Hit the hyphen key and then the "Shift" the right parenthesis/0 key. Turn your head to the left and you'll see a smiley face :-)
Hold the "Shift" key and hit the semicolon/colon key. Hit the hyphen key and the "Shift" and "d" key. Turn your head to the left and you'll see a laughing face :-D
Hit the "8" key, then the hyphen key. Hold "Shift" and hit the right parenthesis/0 key. Turn your head to the left and you will see a smiley face with bright eyes 8-)
Creating Smiley Faces The Old-Fashioned Way
Tips and warnings
- If you use Gmail, you can download a smiley face icon from "Yahoo! Smiley Collection" and insert it into your e-mail.
- A browser search will bring up several emoticon download sites that will allow the smiley face icons to be downloaded to your computer for future use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for