Eyelets are small, round rings, usually made of metal, that reinforce the edges of circular holes in material. These holes are useful for laces and ties. On some pairs of lace-up sneakers, eyelets are used to reinforce each of the holes. Eyelets vary widely in terms of sizes and can be either thick or thin. Sometimes, eyelets are referred to as grommets. Eyelets are attached by punching or cutting holes into a fabric and then crimping the eyelet over the border of the hole.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cutting knife
- Utility knife
- Eyelet hammer tool
- Rubber mallet
Make a mark with your marker in the centre of the part of the fabric where you want your eyelet to be placed.
Place your fabric on a cutting mat.
Cut a hole into the fabric with your utility knife just large enough to allow for the shaft of the eyelet to pass through.
Stick the shaft of the eyelet through the hole, the shaft poking through the back.
Place the piece of the eyelet that looks like a washer over the shaft.
Place the eyelet hammer tool over the shaft.
Tap the top of the eyelet hammer tool with your rubber mallet until the shaft of the eyelet has bent over the washer of the eyelet.
Remove the eyelet hammer tool.
Tips and warnings
- If you don't have a cutting mat, just use a piece of sturdy cardboard under the fabric.
- Be careful not to cut too large of a hole in your fabric, as the eyelet may then be impossible to attach.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for