House alarms will add an extra element of safety to any home. Whenever a door or window is opened, the alarm will go off and the alarm system's company will be notified. This works by attaching sensors to each door and window. A voltage then runs through the alarm's circuit. When a window or door is opened, the circuit is broken, and the alarm goes off.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Deactivation code
Memorise the deactivation code that came with your alarm system. If you have lost the deactivation code, your security company most likely won't tell it to you over the phone. Follow your owner's manual and reset the codes, which consists of punching in a few numbers or symbols and then punching in your new code.
Punch in your deactivation code as soon as you break the alarm circuit. You will have a limited amount of time to deactivate the alarm before it goes off. For example, when you get home and open the front door, the first thing you will have to do is turn off your alarm.
Deactivate your alarm for predetermined amounts of time if desired. For example, if you are always home between 2 and 5pm, you can set your alarm to automatically deactivate at these times. Consult your owner's manual how to do so.
Reactivate your alarm by punching in the activation code when you leave your house.
Program your alarm to deactivate when people need to get into your home when you're not there, such as your kids, a housekeeper or a babysitter. Some house alarms also allow you to set up "housekeeper" codes that only work when your help or kids are supposed to arrive. Use your owner's manual to do this.
How to Turn Off House Alarms
Tips and warnings
- If it comes down to it, you can shut off the breakers that power your alarm system. These are usually located in your basement, attic or closet. You don't have to shut off the power in your entire house to turn off the alarm. Locate the alarm's power source, usually a battery, and remove it.
- If you don't enter the code in time, your alarm system's company will be notified, and they will call you. Answer the call and let them know everything is fine. If you don't, they might send the police to your house.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for