If you have had a tubal ligation to prevent pregnancy, there may come a time when you wish to reverse the process and have another child. Before going the surgical route to reverse sterilisation, you can try natural alternatives first. Even if the procedure was done many years ago, it's still possible to get pregnant after having your tubes tied, and some women have reported success after using red clover. Although not a sure bet, it's worth a try and much cheaper than surgery or In Vitro Fertilization.
Aid the body's natural healing process. Whether your tubes have been clipped, tied, banded, burnt or cut, the body is always trying to heal itself and can sometimes develop a tract that will allow the sperm and egg to come together. Your goal should be to reduce scarring and inflammation, while increasing circulation to help repair and open your Fallopian tubes.
Alkalise and increase fertility. Red clover contains nutrients that are valuable to your fertility such as vitamin C, calcium, niacin, magnesium, chromium, and thiamine. It's also said to be a rich source of isoflavins. These are water-soluble chemicals that, when taken internally, act like oestrogen. Since red clover helps to alkalise the entire body, it assists in creating a sperm-friendly environment. In the book, Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Years, author Susan S. Weed calls red clover blossoms "the single most useful herb for establishing fertility."
Reduce as much stress in your life as possible. Stress has been shown to cause the Fallopian tubes to spasm, creating even more of a blockage than you're already dealing with. Since red clover has a high calcium and magnesium content, it can help with stress reduction by promoting relaxation.
Improve circulation with deep tissue massages. This also helps to break up any Fallopian tube blockages. It's a safe process since you can do the massage yourself, placing as much or as little pressure on your body as you feel comfortable with. Deep tissue massage can improve circulation to the Fallopian tubes and ovaries, allowing the beneficial properties of red clover to assist your fertility efforts.
Take red clover as a capsule or a tea. For the tea, steep 1-2 teaspoons of the dried flowers in eight ounces of hot water for half an hour, and drink 2 or 3 cups daily. Take 40 to 150 milligrams per day when in capsule form.
Use your own judgment in how long to take red clover. There's no fast and hard rule here. You may decide to try red clover for a few months or even a year before trying alternative methods and consulting a fertility specialist.
- There is no complete "reversal" of tubal ligation without surgery. Red clover is just a means to promote fertility. A link to a fertility forum after tubal ligation is provided below. The forum provides a lot of information and a place to interact with other women trying to get pregnant after having their tubes tied.
- After a tubal ligation, you may not be able to conceive naturally. Contact your doctor if you do become pregnant to rule out an ectopic pregnancy as this is common in women who have had a tubal ligation.
Tips and Warnings
- There is no complete "reversal" of tubal ligation without surgery. Red clover is just a means to promote fertility.
- A link to a fertility forum after tubal ligation is provided below. The forum provides a lot of information and a place to interact with other women trying to get pregnant after having their tubes tied.
- After a tubal ligation, you may not be able to conceive naturally.
- Contact your doctor if you do become pregnant to rule out an ectopic pregnancy as this is common in women who have had a tubal ligation.
Things you need
- Red Clover Blossoms (dried herb or capsules)