Cracked corn is an ingredient in many animal feeds and is often fed by itself to chickens or other home-raised fowl. Finely cracked corn can also be used to add texture to breads, soups and stews. If you are planning to crack corn for animal feed, you will need a large, commercial-size grain mill to accomplish this task. If you are wanting cracked corn for use in recipes for your table, a home grain mill will do the job splendidly. Either way, the process is the same.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Grain grinder
- Bowl or bucket
- Whole, shelled dried corn
Set up your grinder according to manufacturer's instructions. If your grinder settings are adjustable, set the adjustment to the coarsest grind possible.
Set a bowl or bucket beneath the discharge shoot of the grinder. This will catch the cracked corn as it is processed.
Fill the hopper of the grinder with whole, shelled dried corn.
Turn the grinder on if using an electric model; otherwise, begin turning the crank on a manual grinder. Grind the corn, allowing it to fall into the bucket or bowl until the hopper is empty.
Repeat by refilling the hopper and coarsely grinding the corn until the desired amount has been cracked.
Tips and warnings
- Some models of grain grinders have special "burrs" that can be used specifically for grinding corn into cracked corn.
- If you are planning to crack large amounts of corn, such as for feeding animals, a commercial grinder is almost a necessity.
- Set the grinder to a finer grind if you want your cracked corn at the consistency of grits or meal.
- Corn for grinding for animal feed can be found at any farm feed store. Dried, whole corn for human consumption can be found at natural food stores and at some retail outlets online.
- When cracking corn for home use, crack only the amount you need for the recipe you are making. Whole, dried corn stores better than cracked corn.
- Cracked corn is also essential for whiskey making.
- Cracked corn is the type traditionally used in making hominy.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for