If you want to create a simple gift, then consider making your own decorated soaps. You can use plain Ivory soap from the store to make specially designed soaps. If you want to make crafting soap a hobby, then you should consider purchasing glycerine. Manufacturers use glycerine to create the common name- brand soaps available at your local convenience store. However, melting Ivory soap is a fast method for making decorative soaps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 to 2 bars plain clear Ivory soap
- Double boiler
- One-quarter cup warm water
- Essential oil
- Candy thermometer
- Soap dye
- Silicone spray
- Candy moulds
Grate the soap with a kitchen grater. Place it in a double boiler. Slowly begin to melt the Ivory soap.
Once the soap melts, add one-quarter cup of warm water. Gently stir the water into the melted soap.
Add a few drops of essential oil. Try not to exceed more than 3 per cent of essential oil by volume. Stir the essential oil into the soap mixture. Do not allow the mixture to get too hot or it will scorch. Try to keep it at or below 93.3 degrees C.
Use soap dye to add colour to your decorative soap. Only use soap dye when making your own soap. Do not use food colouring, RIT dye or candle dyes.
Spray the candy moulds with silicone spray. This will allow you to remove the decorative soap easily once it hardens. Pour the soap into the candy moulds.
Allow the soap to set until it hardens. Remove the soap and allow it to cure for 24 to 48 hours.
Tips and warnings
- Instead of candy moulds, use cookie cutters to create decorative soaps. Roll out Play-Doh until it is one-quarter of an inch thick. Gently press a metal cookie cutter into the Play-Doh, and pour the melted soap mixture into the cookie cutter. Once the soap sets, you can cut away the excess Play-Doh and remove the soap from the cookie cutter.
- It is important to grate the soap before you melt it because Ivory soap will expand when it is heated due to the trapped air inside the soap.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for