A silk wrap will strengthen your natural nail or an artificial tip. Common problems with silk wraps include lifting of the material and fungus growth in the natural nail bed. Silk wraps will help your nail grow out and can be an alternative to nail tips. However, they are delicate and tend to be hard to maintain if you have an active lifestyle. The key to using silk wraps is in the correct application.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Fine-grit nail file
- Silk wrap
- Pencil or marker
- Nail clippers
- Nail glue
- Buffing oil
- Micro-grit nail file
- Plastic sealer
- Nail polish
Clean the natural nail surface to remove all oils and residue. Start by washing hands well with soap and water. Use a fine-grit file on the nail surface to remove any existing adhesive.
Start with the first finger. Put the silk wrap on top of the natural nail to determine size. Use a marker or pencil to highlight the areas that will need cut. Cut the wrap to the shape and size of the natural nail.
Coat the nail with nail glue in a thin, even coat.
Slide the wrap onto the natural nail, stopping just above the cuticle. There should be a space of about 1 to 2mm between the wrap and the cuticle.
Repeat Steps 2 through 4 to cover all nails.
Give the glue a little time to dry. A couple minutes are enough. Use scissors or clippers to trim any wrap that might still be too long.
Coat the nails with buffing oil. Buff the nails using a micro-grit nail file to smooth the surface. Remove any rough areas in the wraps. The buffing oil will soak into the wraps and make them soft, allowing the micro file to smooth them.
Apply a plastic sealer over the wraps. Give the sealer time to dry. Then paint the nails normally.
Tips and warnings
- If you purchase a silk wrap kit, it will have all the supplies you need, except scissors and a nail clipper.
- Silk wraps will last two weeks to a month depending on how active you are.
- This process is just for silk wraps. Many women choose to apply fibreglass nail tips with the silk wrap for added length and to strength..
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for