Oreck vacuum cleaners, like any other vacuum cleaner, require regular service and maintenance. The most common services are cleaning the brush roll, replacing the belt and changing the dust bag. There are many different Oreck vacuums; the following service instructions are for the most popular Oreck vacuum, the Oreck XL upright.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Replacement belt
- Replacement bag
Turn the power off and unplug the power cord from the wall. This ensures your safety when servicing the vacuum.
Step on the adjustment pedal and lower the Oreck's wand as far as it will go. Turn the vacuum over on the floor to access the brush roll.
Snip away lint, fabric and other debris from the brush roll with a sharp pair of sissors. Turn the brush roll a few times with your hand; pull away the debris and discard it.
Cleaning the Brush Roll
Turn the power off and unplug the vacuum's power cord. Step on the adjustable pedal and lower the wand as far as it will go. Turn the vacuum over to access the bottom of the power head.
Remove the spare belt from the underside of the power head. Return the vacuum to its normal position to remove the power head cover.
Remove the screw from the side of the power head. Slide the belt access door forward; once the screw is removed, it slides forward with ease.
Remove the old belt from the brush pulley and motor shaft. Position the new belt on the brush pulley, and then extend it to the motor shaft. Replace the belt access door and tighten the screw.
Changing the Belt
Turn the power off and unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Unzip the fabric cover to access the dust bag. Grasp the outer edge of the dust bag and pull it out. Discard the old dust bag.
Attach the new dust bag. Position the opening on the new dust bag with the Oreck dust bag mount. Push it firmly to attach it. Zip the fabric cover closed.
Changing the Dust Bag
Tips and warnings
- Clean your Oreck's brushroll once every month for best results.
- All Oreck vacuums come with a spare belt. If you have already used the spare belt, you'll need to purchase a new one. All Oreck uprights use the same belt, however, you'll have to purchase it directly from Oreck. Change your belt every six months.
- Change your dust bag when the old bag is full. Use the "fill line" on the outer edge of the bag as a guide.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for