Synthetic wigs are a great choice for those who want the option of a wide variety of hair styles and lengths, but don't want to pay the higher price for a wig made of real human hair. To keep your synthetic wig from tangling, always follow any care instructions included with the wig and set it, when not in use, on a proper wig stand.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Synthetic wig-friendly comb or brush
- Synthetic wig spray
- Synthetic wig shampoo
- Leave-in conditioner
- Sponge rollers (optional)
Comb or brush the synthetic wig with those instruments designed specifically for the wig. If these are not available, use a brush with rubber tips to prevent split ends, which promote tangling of your wig.
Apply synthetic wig spray before brushing or combing your wig. Wig spray acts as a lubricant and helps to untangle the synthetic hair.
Brush the wig starting at the ends of the synthetic hair and working upwards to the scalp area. This prevents little tangles from converging with others below and creating larger tangles.
Use sponge rollers if you are setting curls in your synthetic wig. Velcro rollers will tangle in your wig and may cause damage to the fibres.
Combing and Styling
Fill the sink with cool water. Hot water can relax or remove curls placed in the wig by the manufacturer.
Add two capfuls of shampoo for synthetic wigs and immerse the wig in the water. Gently swish the wig in the water and soak for one to two minutes. This loosens any debris and reduces the need for rubbing, which promotes tangles.
Rinse the wig with the water flowing in the direction the fibres are laid. Typically, this will be from the top of the wig, downward.
Place the wig on a wig stand or lay it out on a large towel. Spray the wig with a leave-in conditioner and gently distribute the conditioner throughout the wig using your fingers, never a brush.
Brush the wig, once it is dry, starting at the ends and working upward.
Tips and warnings
- Use styling products sparingly to cut down on your wig's washing frequency. Each time you wash a synthetic wig it shortens its lifespan.
- Never use heated styling tools, such as blow dryers, curling irons or flat irons, on a synthetic wig. Doing so could damage, or even melt, your wig.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for