The use of a rubber tub mat can prevent slips and falls in an otherwise dangerously smooth surface of the bathtub or shower floor. But you may have noticed that these same mats are a popular home for mould and mildew growth. To keep your bath mat safe and clean, it is best to remove these harmful residues each week with basic cleaning. Clean the mat when you clean your tub.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Rubber bath mat
- Bathroom foaming spray cleaner
- Rubber gloves
- Scrub brush
Begin cleaning your rubber bath mat by placing it in a tub or shower floor. Spray with a foaming bathroom cleaner. The foam-action sprays will get into the hard-to-reach corners of the mat's bottom surface. Often, the suction cups on the underside of the mat, which hold the mat in place, can become the toughest spots to clean. Spray the foaming cleaner on both sides of the mat. Allow it to soak in for 30 minutes.
After the spray has set in, use a large scrub brush to scour away any set-in stains, mould and mildew. Scrubbing will also remove soap scum or debris. Use a toothbrush to get into the smallest nooks and crannies.
Use bleach to remove stubborn stains. To prevent a chemical reaction, apply bleach or bleach-based products and wipes to the surface after drying. Do not mix cleaners.
Rinse the mat under hot water once you get it clean. Wash away any debris. It is best to clean the tub or shower after cleaning the mat to prevent contaminating an already-cleaned surface.
Tips and warnings
- Try wearing latex dish washing gloves to protect your hands when cleaning. Cleaners can irritate the skin.
- Ventilate a bathroom when cleaning.
- Most household cleaners include chlorine and alkyl ammonium chlorides, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA suggests reading all labels prior to product use. These chemicals can often be very caustic. If any cleaner gets onto your skin, wash it away immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for