Diarrhoea, or loose stools, is a very draining and frustrating illness. It's also a very common illness that affects everyone at some point in their lives. However, most cases of loose stools can be cured in two to three days with the right diet and ample rest. A visit to the physician is usually not necessary.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Avoid milk, shakes, tea, coffee, ice cream and alcohol when you have loose stools. Any of these items will only exacerbate your problems. This list also includes whole wheat breads and cereals, greasy and fried foods, spicy foods and sweets.
Consume as many fluids as you can. This is to counter dehydration that can happen with loose stools. Be sure to drink plenty of water, and supplement it with clear soups, lemonade, ginger ale, or unsweetened fruit juices and broth.
Follow a BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast) diet to get over loose stools. This is especially recommended for children. You can supplement your new diet with baked skinless chicken, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes and crackers.
Take over-the-counter diarrhoea medication if your condition doesn't improve even after putting yourself on a restricted diet. A majority of OTC medications are taken orally and should be taken after each episode of loose stools.
Tips and warnings
- Give your body the extra rest it needs. Try not to move out of your house too much, and if you have an active lifestyle, slow things down until your body is ready to bear the strain of your vigorous life once again.
- If your condition is severe, and some of these remedies don't help after two to three days, consult a physician. There can be several possible reasons for severe diarrhoea. Proper diagnosis and timely treatment are critical, and can possibly save you weeks of discomfort.
- Refrain from popping regular diarrhoea pills such as Imodium without a physician's guidance. There are certain conditions that can even be further aggravated by these pills.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for