Weed and feed is a variety of fertiliser that also contains herbicides formulated to kill weeds while nourishing a lawn. Most weed and feeds are designed to kill chickweed, clover and dandelion specifically.
Weed and feed comes in granule and liquid form. Granules sit on the lawn and slowly dissolve into the soil, while the liquid form sinks into the soil immediately. While granules don't need to be applied as often, liquid weed and feed starts work immediately and takes effect more quickly. Liquid weed and feeds are also usually post-emergent, meaning they kill existing weeds but won't prevent new ones from growing.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Liquid weed and feed
- Garden hose
- Hose-end garden sprayer
Choose a weed and feed with lots of nitrogen but make sure it is mixed with phosphorus and potassium. Pure nitrogen will burn and kill your lawn; phosphorus and potassium dilute the nitrogen while adding their own nutrients to the mix.
Mix your weed and feed with water. Pure weed and feed will burn your lawn. Mix 1 quart of weed and feed to every 5 gallons of water. Stir well and pour into a hose-end garden sprayer.
Spray the weed and feed evenly over your lawn, moving the garden hose in wide, sweeping motions. Move steadily backwards, going over the same place no more than twice. If you run out of weed and feed, refill the sprayer and continue.
Apply weed and feed again in mid-June. Most grasses and weeds have a growth spurt in the middle of the summer. The grass will benefit from a boost of vitamins and you will benefit as any remaining weeds absorb more herbicides.
Tips and warnings
- Apply weed and feed at the beginning of the growing season in late April or early May. Wait until your lawn is totally green but still new and short. New growth will absorb anything applied to it very quickly.
- Some weed and feed comes in a bottle that can be directly attached to your hose. Using these bottles eliminates the need to measure and mix.
- Do not allow pets to eat grass for at least two weeks after application. If swallowed or comes into contact with in the eyes, call emergency services immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for