Cooking fish in the microwave requires a watchful eye, but done correctly, even tuna steaks can be prepared to an ideal, meaty texture. Due to their thickness, tuna steaks require a longer microwave cooking time than thinner cuts of fish, so you cannot simply replace tuna steaks in a recipe that calls for a thinner, white-fleshed fish. However, swordfish steaks do substitute well for tuna steaks in microwave recipe. Use your favourite marinade for cooking and flavouring the tuna steaks if desired.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 500 gr. (1 pound) tuna steaks (2.5 cm (1-inch) thick)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sauce or marinade
- 1 litre (4 cups) fresh, chopped vegetables (optional)
- Microwave safe baking dish
- Plastic wrap or baking dish cover
Place the tuna steaks int the bottom of the baking dish.
Cover the tuna steak with the marinade of your choice along with the vegetables.
Place the plastic wrap or lid over the baking dish.
Microwave the fish on high power for eight minutes every 500 gr. (1 pound) of tuna steaks if using a 650 to 800 watt microwave, or cook on high for 12 minutes, covered, for lower wattage microwaves.
Carefully remove the plastic wrap or lid to avoid escaping steam and serve the tuna steaks with the vegetables.
Tips and warnings
- Add equal parts of soy or teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice for a Pacific flair.
- Try bottled Italian or Asian salad dressing as a marinade.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for