Mini basketball hoops are a great way to partake in the game of basketball without having to leave your bedroom. They are usually relatively expensive, but you can make your own with only a few simple materials. A large plastic flower pot can be cut into the hoop, an old piece of cardboard can serve as a backboard and yarn or string will do for the net.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Plastic flower pot
- Wire hanger
- Duct tape
Cut away the bottom half of the plastic flower pot. The top half will be used as the basketball hoop. If you feel your basketball hoop is too wide, cut away another half of the remaining flower pot. This will leave you with one fourth of what you started with.
Cut the yarn into eight pieces about a foot in length each. Tie each piece of yarn around the flower pot so that about 8 inches of yarn will hang from the hoop.
Drizzle lines of glue onto the cardboard. Place the hoop onto the layer of glue on the cardboard and firmly press down with your hand. It will take between 30-45 minutes to dry so lay the cardboard on its back and place something heavy (such as an old book) onto the hoop to keep it secure while drying.
Tape the wire hanger to the back of the cardboard using the duct tape. The wire hanger should be taped as is and the hook should extend over the top of the cardboard. Hang the hoop on the door and you're ready to start playing.
Tips and warnings
- Your materials have to be wiped clean of any dirt or dust. Dirt will cause the glue not to form a strong bond between the hoop and backboard.
- For balls, use wads of paper or foam balls to minimise the stress put on the hoop.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for