There are various types or sub categories of pollution, including air, water and land pollution. Land pollution occurs when contaminants directly affect the ground surface. Causes of land pollution are non-biodegradable waste and toxic chemicals. These products create harmful changes to the soil, altering composition and making it toxic for plants and animals. Dustbin fill landfills, creating an unusable space for many years, or get washed into storm water drains. There are simple things people can do every day to stop land pollution.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Reusable containers
- Recycling bins
Reduce trash waste. Buy and use reusable containers instead of plastic sandwich bags or paper lunch bags. Use cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers. Purchase biodegradable products to avoid contributing material to landfills.
Use recycling bins to separate material that can be recycled. Recycle aluminium cans, glass, newspapers, batteries and cardboard.
Buy recycled products. Purchase printing paper and paper towels with a high recycled content. Shop at vintage stores for recycled clothing.
Use natural and organic products to reduce pesticides. Buy organic fruit and vegetables. Use natural methods instead of chemicals to eliminate pests in gardens or around the house.
Preventing Land Pollution
Tips and warnings
- Pick up any litter, including animal waste, from lawns and gutters before rain.
- Always keep hazardous or potentially harmful chemicals such as gasoline or oil in secure containers so the chemicals will not spill onto the ground.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for