Increasing flexibility in the groin is important for preventing muscle strains in that area. According to SportsInjuryClinic.net, groin injuries can occur in tendons that connect the adductor and gracilis muscles to the femur (leg bone) or hip bone. These injuries are common among athletes, martial artists and dancers. The best way to increase flexibility in groin tendons is to perform various stretching exercises on a regular basis.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ample room with doorway
- Exercise band or elastic tubing
Repeat the following exercises three to five times weekly. Lie on your back on a mat, with your knees up and both feet flat on the mat. Slowly spread your legs apart using your arms. Stretch as far as possible and hold that position for 15 to 30 seconds, then relax. Repeat this movement three times.
Lie on a mat near the doorway with your right buttock close to the wall. Extend your left leg forward through the doorway. Slowly raise your right leg and extend it by placing the heel of your shoe on the wall. Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds, then relax. Do three repetitions with your right leg on the wall, then repeat the same movement with your left leg against the wall.
Sit on the floor with the soles of your feet together and your knees pointing outward. Grab both ankles and slowly push down on both calves with your forearms. Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds, then relax. Do three repetitions.
Spread your legs while seated on the floor. Slowly turn to your left and bend as far as you can toward your left leg. Hold that position for 15 to 30 seconds, then relax. Repeat this movement three times.
Tie an exercise band or tubing around your right ankle. Stand facing a door and feed the other end of the exercise band or tubing through the doorway, closing the door toward the end of it. Pull your right leg back while keeping your knee and back straight. Hold this position for a second, then relax. Do three sets of 10 repetitions with each leg. Finally, turn around and face away from the door. Starting with your right foot, slowly pull the elastic band forward, hold for a second then relax. Do three sets of 10 repetitions with each leg.
Groin Flexibility Exercises
Tips and warnings
- The important thing when performing stretching exercises is to stretch as far as you can without pain. You will gradually become more flexible each week as you continue doing the exercises. Also, do all of the exercises in succession without pausing. Initial stretches will get the blood flowing to the groin muscles. You want to keep your muscles warm while stretching. During the cold weather, you may want to march or jog in place before stretching as it may take longer to warm up your groin muscles. See the Resources section for additional groin exercises.
- Never attempt any movements that cause you pain in your groin, back or any other area.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for