Gallstones are formed in the gall bladder when digestive fluids solidify into hard "stones." (See Reference 1.) While many people never develop gallstone symptoms, others are plagued with sudden gallstone attacks. These attacks, which occur when a gallstone passes from the gall bladder into the duct leading to the intestines, can last several hours and are often accompanied by fever and nausea. In the most severe cases, surgery may be needed to remove the stones; however, sometimes you can dissolve gallstones naturally.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Fibre supplement
- Olive oil
- Peppermint capsules
Eat a minimum of 25 grams of fibre daily, the minimum recommended for healthy digestion and bowel function. (See Reference 2.)
Drink at least eight glasses of water each day, more if you are a large person. A good general guideline is to drink ½ oz per 1 pound of body weight.
Consume grapefruit daily to flush out your gall bladder.
Take olive oil or add it to salads, seafood and other foods. Like grapefruit, olive oil is good for flushing out the gall bladder and liver. However, you should avoid other fatty foods that are high in cholesterol.
Take peppermint oil. Peppermint contains terpenses, compounds believed to dissolve stones and prevent new ones from forming. The easiest way to take this supplement is in the form of enteric-coated capsules, which allow the peppermint to pass into the intestines before it's broken down. (See Reference 3.)
Tips and warnings
- Exercise is the best preventive medicine for almost any ailment, including gallstones. Work out for a minimum of 30 minutes four to six days a week to keep the gall bladder in top shape.
- Reduce your risk of future gallstones by eating a high-fibre, low-cholesterol diet.
- Consult your doctor for advice before beginning a regimen of peppermint oil. Certain types of gallstones may not respond well to peppermint oil.
- If gallstone attacks are a frequent occurrence or are accompanied by jaundice, fever or chills, or severe pain, contact your doctor immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for